Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July semi Re-Post








It's the 4th of July so I figured I'd re-post a picture of my 47 U from a July 4th 1985 party in Jersey (top) and add a few more of the bike when I first built it in the early 80's. I built it in my bedroom and as you can see there were a few more projects going on in there as well. I built and rode it as a cut down Bob Job for a while and eventually went to the ape hangers and the 21 inch wheel. I gave it that nice patriotic paint scheme which a friend of mines father referred to as a "Demolition Derby" paint job. The guy must have been a psychic because I ended up crashing the bike coming out of New York City and he was the one that scooped me up and took me to the hospital! Demolition Derby indeed!
The stars and stripes were actually not inspired by Peter Fonda, I thought he was just a fake Hippie that happened to ride a motorcycle in a movie...not a "biker" even as it was defined in Hollywood in the 60's (which I kinda liked).
I'm not sure what happened to the country I was so proud of back then. I have to watch the History Channel or look through old copies of American Motorcycling from the 40's and 50's to remember or maybe just jump on a Knucklehead and do a 30 ft burn out!
By the way this is the same 47 U that is in the previous post. I flashed it up a bit and got carried away with the red powdercoat! What the hell...

The banged up Stars and Stripes still hang on the wall to this day some 25 years later...

No comments:

Post a Comment