Wednesday, July 1, 2015

1947 Knuckle Maintenance...Clutch and Timing

Pulling the clutch apart to check it out...
seemed a little slippy to me at the top of the gears

I can't even count the times I've pulled one of these things apart...
My special washer for these many occasions...
...and yes, I know the inside of my inner is red...

Out it all comes...

Oh yeah, I'm fixing my boot too...

Plates out, soak in gas, dry, resurface...back in...
I also tightened up the rivets on the spring plate

Side Note: See the holes in this pressure plate. They tell me that this was once used with a B&H hand clutch set up. In the Instructions for installing a B&H it tells you to drill holes and rivet a friction disc on the pressure plate and get rid of the spring plate.

All back together, spring tension adjusted 31/32 and ready to roll.

Now to check the timing...

The points are shitty...better start there...

N.O.S. Dixi points in stock...

Installed and gap set at .22...

The way I check my timing...a VOM (Volt / Ohm Meter) with a continuity tester that gives off a tone when it senses continuity. The manual tells you to use a test light but I like to hear it instead of look for it and I don't want to leave my ignition on during the process...

I attach it to ground and the points terminal..

I disconnect the wire from the points to the coil to avoid the false reading...then I pull the front plug, stick my thumb over the plug hole and slowly kick it over and wait to feel the compression stroke on the front cylinder. When I feel it start to blow my thumb off I stop kicking and turn on the VOM (the tone should be sounding because the points are not opened yet which produces continuity to the VOM and hence, sounds the tone). I move over to the timing hole and slowly rotate the engine in the direction it runs. I usually do this by having the rear wheel off the ground and the bike in gear. I grab the rear wheel and move it so that it turns the motor over a little at a time kind of like tapping it forward (this works well because if you pass the hole you can just turn the wheel backwards to get it back)...When the timing mark just begins to appear at the rear of the hole the points should break, silencing the tone coming from the VOM. If it doesn't then the fun begins! Time to loosen the stud nut on the dist head and start messing with the timing until you get it perfecto... The Knuckle has felt like the timing was a bit retarded. It started too easily, without retarding and just seemed a bit off on power...I was correct and now it is FIXED!

Everything back together and ready for Wing Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment