Saturday, August 8, 2015

1947 Knucklehead... Jacked and Racked


Time to address the remnants of last years trip to Brookfield... crumpled fender and bent in braces. This was a result of carrying too much stuff (tools) on my rear rack and hitting a couple of massive bumps on Rt 402. The funny part was that most of the weight was from all the tools I packed...Turns out, the only thing I needed a wrench for was to fix the problem that carrying all those tools caused!

Added bonus...Broken spoke

Well worn Continental K112

Hey now...I can make use of this!

Oh Yeah! Down home jackin' and clampin'...

Utilizing the most advanced mechanical technology available...
 Broom, furniture clamp and car jack...

Oh yeah...wood and a big old C-Clamp come in handy as well
By the way...it all worked! The fenders still a bit rippled but the braces are back where they belong

Time to remove the old salami...

...and replace the broken spoke

Found a suitable replacement...

I dug this home made stainless rear rack outta the attic. 30 plus years ago I bought a 1945 UL motor from an older gentleman. In addition to the motor he gave me this stainless steel copy of an H-D military rack that he made way back when. I think I finally have a use for it! I sized it up for fitment on my never ending "other" 39 project...


Now lets see about fitting it on the 47...

Fits pretty well...just need to use longer fender mount bolts. I'm able to get he rear fender flap high enough to remove and and replace the back wheel with the rack installed...cool!.

Oh yeah...replaced the spoke and mounted a new K112

To make the rack easily removable I replaced the buddy seat spring bracket screw (where the front of the rack mounts)  with a longer one, installed it inside out and fitted a nut...

Perfecto...

Now I can take it off without having to fuck around under the fender. This tab does not support any weight, it just keeps the rack from moving to and fro...the weight is all on the frame now and not the fender!

I found these Buco saddle bag mounts that are not half moons...not sure of the intended application but they are perfect for mounting my Buco Bags to this rack...I didn't even have to drill a hole!!! 

I left the old Half Moon mounts on the fender so when I pop off the rack I can simply mount the bags right back to the fender! Sweetness!

Oh yeah...Industrial!

From the rear...

With Buco Bags...
BTW...the right bag always drooped a bit lower than the left

The bags sit a bit higher and further back but I think they look just fine...

...and there you have it...


1 comment:

  1. I believe those brackets are for the Buco plastic saddlebags, the ones that look quite similar to the H-D plastic bubblebags.

    ReplyDelete