Sunday, December 22, 2013

Lights Out...



Salty Dog...

Needs a rinse and a Headlight bulb...

Popped the headlight ring (door) off my original paint, never opened Cycle Ray headlight..

Ring (door)...

Now to take a look inside...

This is going to require some finesse...

Minty Fresh!

Carefully separating the lens from the reflector 
trying to keep the original rubber seal intact

Success!

Man, look at that sweet reflector! Ready for a new bulb...

Have a bunch of NOS bulbs I picked up decades ago...

And there you have it! Light me up....

I was heading out the other night in the black ice and frigid temps for a 10 mile trip for some Wings and Lagers...I got about 5 miles out on some twisty pitch black country roads, navigating the black ice and snow when "pop" my headlight bulb takes a shit....
Choice time...
1. Find a safe place to pull off and call someone to get me or
2. Continue the 5 miles to my destination with no lights and deal with it all later in the evening or
3. Spin around and do the five miles in the dark with no lights back to the garage, grab another mode of transportation and go from there...
Although choice 2. was tempting I opted for Choice number 3. Honestly, I didn't think of Choice 1. until today...
The headlight on the Knuckle was a mint Cycle Ray that I picked off a nice original untouched Harley Hummer I picked up a few years back. Both beams worked at the time so I bolted it up and went down the road. That was about a year and a half ago. One beam went "Bye, Bye" a while ago, leaving he remaining one to crap out at the perfect time...(this week).

No comments:

Post a Comment