Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dullin' it Down

Nip it down with Scotch Brite Pad and water



Secret Ingredient (Coke)



Battery Acid Old Harley Drain oil


Stirred, not shaken
Sponged On


In the oven at 200 Degrees (yes in the kitchen)



Take out and re-coat, let sit a few hours



Finished...maybe


I'm back on the 39 EL project...it's motor time!
I had to get the chrome stripped off the cam cover. It was then glass beaded...ugh! I needed it back to "old" so I got some tips from friends and started messing with it.
First I nipped it down with a Scotch Brite pad to get some of that hideous sheen off it. I then mixed up a batch of potion consisting of Old used 50W motor oil, Battery Acid and Coca Cola. I sponged the concoction onto the cover nice and thick. I preheated the oven to about 200 degrees and baked the cover for about a half hour. Yes I did this in my kitchen. No live-in women here to stop me from doing what seems perfectly logical!!! That next batch of chicken nuggets the boys cook will be interesting I'm sure...
I then removed it from the oven and re-coated it and let it sit for a couple of hours. It came out much better but I think it needs a bit more treatment...more coca-cola maybe...more time in the oven...who knows?






2 comments:

  1. Try putting it in a pan, cover it with regular gasoline, let the gas evaporate. Should work, cause every time I get gas on a motor, it turns it brown - instant patina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let my mix sit over night and it's still not quite where I want it.
    Thanks Lonnie! I will hit the gasoline next and see how she does...

    ReplyDelete