Sunday, March 9, 2014

Never Ending Story...The more I...well, you get it...

The '46 always pulled hard to one side...bent rear leg...
I have a freshly straightened off set rear leg...more work....

Off with the entire fork...existing rear leg bent...

The more I try to get done...the more comes off...


Straightened off set rear leg becoming a complete fork...

Cleaning up the parts...

Damn, the rockers on the '46 were early...

Early Rockers...with brass rings? 
I don't think I've ever seen this before...

Huh? Shit now I gotta get a set of later rockers....

Got 'em...cleaned 'em up replaced some parts and ready to go....

Putting together a completely different offset springer for the '46...
C-clamp spring install....

Rockers installed... top covers installed...

Headlight bracket and Ride Control installed...

Fork installed...

Flanders installed...

So here's how yesterday went:
I started to replace the springs on the '46 and noticed my front fork leg was early...Cast #5...OK, I have it off, so I may as well put the right (later) front fork leg on...searched and found one. I slid it in without springs to check the fit with rockers and upper bushings in place. The distance between the front and rear legs on either side had an appreciable difference (I could stick my finger between them on one side and not the other...Hi-Tech Finger Caliper). I then checked it using a freshly straightened front leg (a #4 I'm using for my 39 project)...same thing. The rear leg is bent. I had a freshly straightened rear Off Set Leg that I was gonna use on my 50 Panhead (long story) and it was sitting right there. Fuck it...I'll use it on the '46. So the work began.
I also noticed that the rockers were pre-1942 so I dug up a set of later ones with the grease fitting bosses. I replaced some parts and greased 'em up. I assembled the "new" straight fork, removed the old one and installed the straight one. The '46 did always pull to one side. I thought maybe it was a bent frame...hopefully this will correct that...but you know how that goes!
Well time to get the brake and front wheel on...

4 comments:

  1. Every post of yours is like a great magazine article… I learn something every time… top stuff Jeff. Still one of the only blogs I read religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guy..I appreciate the comment...especially coming from someone that writes great magazine articles for a living...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here is a lot to learn, thanks for sharing your knowledge Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Sverre. I get the same from your posts...

    ReplyDelete