Thursday, August 21, 2014

Knucklehead Morris Magneto Install

Pulling out the timer...

Goodbye...

Bent a 7/16 wrench to reach the rear timer bolt...

Timer, Relay, Relay Bracket gone...

Magneto base with hex drive installed with spacer...

Checking for fit with e special plate that
Desh (Dave) from Morris Magneto gave me...
No grinding of case or smashing of fins...

Full range of motion...nice!

Timing...

Plug wires next...

The front "hard" wire boot required 
grinding to fit under the tank...

All set...

Started first kick!

I'm yankin' the 41 FL motor outta the Hydra Bob (I'm building another to replace it) to use in my Flat Track Knuckle. I'm using an old Morris magneto and Desh hooked me up with a plate that has the studs in a different position so there is no messing with fins or engine case needed. It popped right in! I tested this on a mock up motor a few posts ago but it was time for the real thing. I figured I would install it, time it and start it prior to swapping the motor. I learned a couple things about magnetos in the process which a lot of you probably know already...
Timing the Mag
When I time a bike with a timer (not a magneto) I hook my VOM to ground and to the points and set it on "Tone" I have the bike up on the rear stand and in gear. I get the timing mark where it needs to be by pulling the plugs and pressing my thumb over the front plug hole and kicking it over until I feel compression in the front cylinder. I then tap the back wheel to turn the engine in the direction it runs until the mark appears. I set the timer to where the points just begin to open by listening for the VOM tone to stop when the circuit is broken (points opening)...
Anyway I learned that the coil in the mag has continuity to ground when static and therefore the tone will not detect the points opening...simple fix...I disconnected the coil wire from the points and performed the above procedure as if it were a timer...after it was timed I removed the mag head and reattached the wire without disturbing the timing position.
In doing this I realized that if a mag ever died (on the road) you could remove the coil wire from the points and connect an external stock H-D coil (connected to your battery) and plug wires and use the Mag as a timer...
Well the Knuckle started on the first kick and ran like a charm...now to de-install the motor and re-install it into my Flat Track frame!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment