Sunday, April 27, 2014

6 Volt Battery Tech Tip...Cheap and Easy...

PVC 4x4 fence post cover...Home Depot...Cheep

Cut to desired length...

Same as battery height... Then finish off the rough edges...
Drill terminal holes...

Rough it up with sand paper and paint flat black...
Oops drilled four holes...it is a prototype...

Seek help to improve concentration...

Hold finger over unwanted hole for Blog picture...Perfect!

Install $20 Gel Cell Battery with wires...

Install terminal screws through holes... 
affix to PVC with thin nuts

Add outer thick battery nuts...

Pop it in and hook up your stock 
hot and ground wires to the terminals...

Install your stock battery cover and wing nuts...
And there you have it...No Fuss, No Muss...

So there's a lot of problems with 6 volt batteries...no one really makes a good lead acid...they're expensive, have the stupid vent tube, don't last and have been known to blow up (two of mine did). I found these $20 sealed gel cells (8.5 AH) at Warehouse Battery but wanted and good way to install them that looked OK. There are companies that make the fake real looking battery cases but they cost a lot of $$$$.  I overheard a guy talking about 4x4 PVC fence post covers one time and thought I'd give it a whirl. The stuff is dirt cheap and for a few bucks you can get a 4 foot piece that will make you at least four ( do the math).
I've been using one in my White 47 FL all winter and it never went dead and the bike always starts. One thing I noticed was that I blew a couple of head light bulbs early on. Not sure if that's related or not. On a 6 volt three brush I believe the battery kinda works to even out the juice...two would fit in the case so I could double up in parallel which would give it more Amps at 6 Volts that would maybe level it off better for the bulb.... The running and operation of the bike is fine with one though and maybe I had a couple bad bulbs ( they were 50 plus years old). And by the way you can throw a spare in your saddle bag for long trips...I've done that but didn't need it.
So there you have it...

No comments:

Post a Comment