Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A couple more from '84..

Cal Davidson with Les and Helga Clemens in the background
Cal Davidson's original paint 47 Knuckle

Colonial Chapter Fall Meet, Somerville NJ


OK...so there's three, but I just liked the sound of "A couple more from '84".
I spent 1984 riding and beating up my first knuckle. I rode to everything I could and had a great time! It was the summer I turned 21 (drinking age was 18 back then so that wasn't significant) and I was unemployed and riding a 1947 Knucklehead. I didn't own a car at the time, I still my 71 HD police bike, but that just sat in the shed once the Knuckle was up and running. Great fuckin' year!
Cal Davidson had the nicest original paint knuckle I ever saw. He was the original owner and rode it all over. Les and Helga Clemmens were in their 60's back then and were two of the greatest people I have ever had the privilege to meet and call my friends. Les rode Indians and Helga Harleys. You can see her red 47 Knuckle in the background. It was a sight to see her Red, my White and Cal's Blue 1947 Knuckles lined up in a row.
Les Clemens was the real deal. He grew up in California and was at Hollister in '47. Their photo album looked like "Yesterdaze" on steroids. Great photos!
I'll dig some pictures up that I took over the years of Les and his bikes and tell a few stories in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment