Wednesday, December 5, 2012

47 FL - Something Else to Make Me Crazy....


Choke me!

Hhhhmmm two part numbers...

Two applications...too bad I have a mixed application...

Who says size doesn't matter?  (sorry)

While replacing my motor mount on the 1947 FL I realized that my choke wasn't closing all the way. I pondered this for a while...opening, closing, opening , closing...hhhmmm why? I thought hey maybe if this rod was a little bit longer it would work....I went over to my 39 and then my 46 they both worked properly.
I wonder...I opened my old parts book and sure as shit there are two rods listed! 27244-40 and 27244-48. The book lists which years and carburetor models they fit.
Now... I have a habit of putting Linkert M74B's on my FL Knuckleheads, they seem to work real well and spec out the same as an M-75 (which are much harder to find). My 47 FL does has an M74B...now I have a mix of year model and carb model per the specs for the rod in the parts book...
Well since I was pulling the tanks off my 46 FL (which also has an M74B) I decided to check the rod and guess what?   It is just a bit longer then the other! In 30 years of fucking with these bikes I never noticed that.! I popped it on the 47 FL and the choke works fine.

Now, I just have to figure out if the longer one is the later one or not. Intuitively you would think it was based on the way the carbs spec out in the parts book... but... I'm wondering about intake manifold length, different motor mount, and just the fact that it's a Knuckle not a Pan all being factors. I don't have a supply of these rods so I will need to order one...just need to figure out which part number to order... Oh well... At least I can bolt on the 47 FL tanks now and worry about the 46 later...

Now I'm off to the Happy Hunting Grounds....

1 comment: