Sunday, December 30, 2012

"Frosty Balls" Ride 2012

Gathering at Mike's Shop...



Arrived at the Wagon Wheel...


Out front of Big Daddy's Wagon Wheel...

Back home again...


A salty dog...

Every year, the Sunday after Christmas, there's a ride from my buddy Mike's shop up to the Wagon Wheel Tavern to celebrate Mike's birthday. Since "The Incident", two years ago it has purposely become more low key... you can read about that one here:


Anyway, this year the weather was a bit frightful. There were 40 MPH winds and blowing snow from yesterday's storm. I took my old '52 Servi-Car out for breakfast and checked on the the accessibility of the roads for two wheeler's. There were many roads in our normal route that were completely covered by wind blown snow and ice...no way for most. 
I went home, jumped on the "Dirty Nine", bald tire and all, and headed to Mike's. There were only about 5 bikes there and folks were milling around the shop BSing and having a good time. I proposed an alternate route and we (six or so) headed out. We arrived safely (this time) at our destination with a total of nine bikes. There was much talk of yesteryear and the fun we'd had. At one time this ride boasted more then 150 bikes on a warm winter day...I think after 2010 Mike was happy to see it settle down to a few hardy individuals and a bunch in cars and trucks...liability you know...
It was a great time...until next year!


2 comments:

  1. The Police special couldn't make it from Mikes shop to the bar? I used to have a 90' four almost 4 years,as much as I love my knucklehead and apn-shovel I should have kept that bike. Low key and classy and reliable as my teenage erection!(how's that for a distasteful analogy!). Took my own FBR afew days before,it was a balmy 29 degrees...

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim, The cop bike made it. It was just outside the frame of the picture...

    ReplyDelete